Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What do we know about discipleship?

A disciple is a "learner." In the original New Testament Greek, the word is "mathetes." We also used the terms "student" and "follower" in describing a disciple.
Our class is becoming very good at descriptive lists. We added these qualities to our understanding of discipleship:
--a disciple lives according to what you believe
--learns by being with the teacher, watching their example
--problem-solver
--willing to sacrifice
--ordinary people of all ages
--helpers
--caring
--listeners
--people who love Jesus

When we considered the examples of Jesus' original disciples, we noted:
Jesus called them; they followed.
With him they create peace; they build it.

When we were partnered with other class members, each person shared with the other the qualities of discipleship that they perceived in themselves and in each another.
What is it that makes each of us a disciple of Jesus? In what ways do you think that Jesus has called you?

3 comments:

  1. I think Jesus talks to me and calls me when I'm at church. Also I think he talks to me when I am in prayer. And when I am reading the bible.
    -Rhett

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that following jesus makes us all desciples. i think jesus has called me to come to church. i dont know if my family would have started coming to st. andrews if it weren't for the situation with my grandpop.
    -jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that jesus helps me when im down and just about any other time in my life when I feel that I need him. A specific time would be when my parents got divorced, I was sad but yet always had a feeling of joy in my heart.

    ReplyDelete